Teaching iRest Yoga Nidra, Level 1 – Frequently Asked Questions and dispelling myths
About iRest Level 1
You don’t need to have had experience of iRest Yoga Nidra, but you will need to have a strong motivation to want to learn.
- A secular approach using modern language and terms, making it easily accessible and open to all audiences
- it does not impose specific imagery or other suggestions that may be inappropriate/ineffective for the practitioner
- The practitioner develops an ‘inner resource’ allowing them to anchor themselves and return to a safe place at any point during the practice
- Instructors are trained in how to attend to emotional abreactions that may re-trigger trauma or shut down healing
- Individual members of a group are encouraged to choose how they want to participate (i.e. the emotions they want to work with, or imagery that is relevant/has meaning for them), rather than the same, uniform instructions being applied to everyone in the group
- Focus on welcoming all emotions as they arise and accepting life as it is, rather than avoiding or escaping situations through ‘forced’ relaxation
- iRest has been used in military settings since 2006; all the research on Yoga Nidra in military settings to date has been done using the iRest protocol
This training program will not only guide you effortlessly into your own practice of iRest Yoga Nidra but also enable you to understand the process, through exploring research-based material around the sense of self, separation and the ego-I.
The programme was introduced to Europe in 2014 so this is your opportunity to be among the first to offer this teaching here and join a thriving community of iRest Yoga Nidra teachers around the world.
Yes, this course is open to everyone with an interest in the path of meditation.
To gain maximum benefit from the Level I training, we recommend you read Richard Miller’s book, Yoga Nidra: A Meditative Practice for Deep Relaxation and Healing from cover to cover, and listen to the accompanying CD before attending the training.
On completion of this training you will be able to teach iRest Yoga Nidra within your yoga class or other setting, and will be provided with scripts and other support resources to enable you to do this. Ultimately you will feel empowered to give the material your own voice. By the end of the training you will:
- have learnt how to deliver this powerful technique to individuals as well as groups
- understand how to adapt and personalise the practice
- feel confident to begin teaching straight away
- have the credibility to walk in to professional organisations/healthcare settings having trained in a research-based protocol
- use the title "iRest Level 1 Teacher" in advertising, promotional materials, and official channels.
- be listed on the iRest website as an iRest Level 1 Teacher and can post your personal profile allowing people who are seeking iRest group or individual sessions to find you as a qualified provider.
Level 1 iRest Yoga Nidra training is a five-day intensive course comprising theory, practice and discussion, suitable for anyone interested in deepening their own practice or working with yoga nidra in a yogic or therapeutic setting. It will provides you with the basic principles, history, theory, practice and delivery of iRest and allow you to incorporate the simple 10-step iRest protocol into your personal life, professional teaching or clinical practice.
The course will provide an understanding of:
- The historical context and path of meditation in which iRest is embedded
- The Eastern and Western psycho-spiritual perspectives that form the path of meditation and iRest
- The evidence-based research showing the efficacy of iRest and its use with different psycho-physical issues and populations
- iRest within the context of meditation
- The teacher-student relationship, teaching issues and ethical considerations
- The Ten Steps of iRest
- How to use iRest for your personal practice
- How to teach iRest to groups and individuals
To obtain the certification you will need to have attended 100% of the training to comply with Yoga Alliance requirements, otherwise you will receive a certificate only for the number of hours attended. If there is space, it may be possible to attend the day missed when the course is next run at Whitespace Studio. There would be an additional fee for this.
In the event of cancellation:
60 days or more prior to the course start date:
Your payment will be refunded, less 10% admin fee
31 – 59 days prior to the start date:
Payments are not refundable but are transferable to a future whitespace training, workshops or classes (less 10% admin fee).
30 days or less prior to the start date:
Payments are not refundable or transferable unless your place can be filled from a waiting list (less 20% admin fee).
Leaving the Training
It is our aim and policy to facilitate anyone who may be experiencing difficulties either with the training or in other areas of their life so they are able to complete the course. However, we understand that in some circumstances this is not possible and students have no choice other than to leave the programme. In this instance, we will be unable to give you a certificate or graduate you from the training, and your course fees cannot be refunded.
We hope this answers all of your questions. If you have any further questions, or wish to discuss any of the topics covered about, please don’t hesitate to contact us at Whitespace Yoga Studio on 01908 566610