Whitespace Yoga opened its studio doors for our first classes on the 30th October, 2010. After spending years teaching in cold community centres and noisy gyms, the studio was the culmination and realisation of our founder, Deborah Berryman’s vision: to provide a warm and welcoming space for everyone to experience and grow through mind-body practices, in a safe, friendly and non-judgmental environment – regardless of age, size, gender, fitness, diet and lifestyle.
The day before we opened, the floor wasn’t finished, we were still building the furniture for our reception and nobody knew how to work the till!. But nothing was going to stop us going for it. And on the big day. we worried that no one would come, but when we opened our doors there was a long queue of people out of the door! And so it began…..
Since then we’ve grown from strength to strength, with each new expansion decided by our community of teachers and students. From the beginning, Whitespace Yoga set its goal:
- To create and support a community – a hub of independent teachers, students and like-minded people, giving them a place to connect, share and belong.
- To help people think differently about yoga & wellbeing, by making it fun, inspiring and accessible for everyone.
- To have the best teachers who deliver classes that inspire people in their lives and their wellbeing goals
- To create an ethical business that is financially sustainable
- To engage people and encourage them to, as Ghandi said, “Be the change they wish to see in the world.”
We chose the name Whitespace as a way to describe that quiet place within each of us. When we connect to that place (or more accurately, return to it) we change perspective on ourselves and the world around us. This shift in perception is a key stage to finding deep contentment, health and happiness.
Within the space of a few years, Whitespace has become the leading yoga and wellbeing company in Milton Keynes. We have continued to grow with a wider teaching collective, spectrum of teaching styles, workshops and classes, and will continue to innovate and inspire with our community at the heart of everything we do.
Thank you for sharing the journey with us!