Whitespace Yoga opened its studio doors for our first classes on the 30th October, 2010. It was both the culmination, realisation and the beginning of, the principal founder, Deborah McNicholas's vision – to provide a warm and welcoming space for everyone to experience and grow through yoga, in a safe, friendly and non-judgmental environment - regardless of age, size, gender, fitness, diet and lifestyle.
On that day, we were worried that no one would come, but when we opened our doors there was a long queue of people out of the door! The day before we opened, the floor wasn't yet completed, we were still building the furniture for the reception area and nobody knew how to work the till!. But nothing was going to stop us going for it.
From the beginning, Whitespace Yoga set its goal:
● To make people think differently about yoga by promoting the idea that yoga can be fun and accessible for everyone.
● To deliver classes that inspire people in their yoga and in their lives
● To create and support a community – a hub of teachers, students and likeminded people, giving them a place to connect, share and belong.
● To create a business with ethics and integrity true to the spirit of yoga.
● To engage people and encourage them to, as Ghandi said, “Be the change they want to see in the world.”
The name whitespace was chosen as a reflection of the word 'yoga'. It symbolises the understanding that yoga has always been used as a means to connect with that space within and change our perspective on ourselves. This shift in perception is a key stage in our understanding of our true nature, known as self-realisation, which is central to yoga.
Within the space of a few years, Whitespace has become the leading yoga lifestyle company in Milton Keynes. We have continued to grow with a wider spectrum of teaching styles and guest teachers, workshops and classes and will continue to innovate and inspire in order to build a community that looks towards the future whilst rooted in ancient yogic principals.