Yoga Nidra is a transformative state of deep relaxation and one of the fastest-growing yoga practices in the world today. Though its roots lay in thousands of years of philosophies and practices, iRest (‘integrative restoration’) Yoga Nidra carefully and purposefully applies them to our modern-day outlooks and needs. The practice encompasses the teachings of mindfulness and then goes beyond, into the experience of dissolving one’s self – of being completely absorbed in the experience of yoga (meaning to feel interconnected and whole). iRest Yoga Nidra enables you to explore deep movements of meditation and skillfully enquire in to the structures of yourself, which can ultimately lead to profound insight and healing.
iRest Yoga Nidra was created by Richard Miller, PhD, a clinical psychologist, author, researcher, yogic scholar and founder of the Integrative Restoration Institute (IRI). It is a unique Yoga Nidra practice in that it has been substantiated by extensive and continuing research proving it can resolve trauma, pain, chemical dependency and stress, and increase general wellbeing. As a result, iRest Yoga Nidra is applied in settings not previously open to traditional yoga practices, such as in military and healthcare organizations, and is used globally by doctors, nurses, massage therapists, alternative therapists, psychoanalysts and psychologists.
What Makes iRest Different from other Yoga Nidra Practices?
- Secular approach using modern language and terms, making it easily accessible and open to all audiences
- Does not impose specific imagery or other suggestions that may be inappropriate/ineffective for the practitioner
- The practitioner develops an ‘inner resource’ allowing them to anchor themselves and return to a safe place at any point during the practice
- Instructors are trained in how to attend to emotional abreactions that may re-trigger trauma or shut down healing
- Individual members of a group are encouraged to choose how they want to participate (i.e. the emotions they want to work with, or imagery that is relevant/has meaning for them), rather than the same, uniform instructions being applied to everyone in the group
- Focus on welcoming all emotions as they arise and accepting life as it is, rather than avoiding or escaping situations through ‘forced’ relaxation
- iRest has been used in military settings since 2006; all the research on yoga nidra in military settings to date has been done using the iRest protocol
This training programme will not only guide you effortlessly into your own practice of iRest Yoga Nidra, but also enable you to understand the process, through exploring research-based material around the sense of self, separation and the ego-I. The programme only came to Europe in 2014 so this is your opportunity to be among the first to offer this teaching here and join a thriving community of iRest Yoga Nidra teachers around the world.
Content + Structure
Level 1 iRest Yoga Nidra training is a five-day intensive course comprising theory, practice and discussion, suitable for anyone interested in deepening their own practice or working with yoga nidra in a yogic or therapeutic setting. It will provides you with the basic principles, history, theory, practice and delivery of iRest and allow you to incorporate the simple 10-step iRest protocol into your personal life, professional teaching or clinical practice.
The course will provide an understanding of:
- The historical context and path of meditation in which iRest is embedded
- The Eastern and Western psycho-spiritual perspectives that form the path of meditation and iRest
- The evidence-based research showing the efficacy of iRest and its use with different psycho-physical issues and populations
- iRest within the context of meditation
- The teacher-student relationship, teaching issues and ethical considerations
- The Ten Steps of iRest
- How to use iRest for your personal practice
- How to teach iRest to groups and individuals
The training provides the opportunity to participate in group lectures and peer discussion groups, and to receive and participate in multiple iRest experiential group and one-on-one practice sessions.
Are you eligible?
This course is a welcome immersion for new and established yoga teachers to study iRest Yoga Nidra. It’s also open to open to anybody with an interest in the path of meditation.
5 day intensive
Sun 16th September at 6pm – 9.30pm
Monday 17th – Thursday 20th September at 8.45am – 5.15pm
Friday 21st September at 8.45am – 12.30pm
£795 Early Bird by 21 June / £895
James Reeves, founder of Restful Being and Director of Europe for the Integrative Restoration Institute, is one of the UK’s leading Yoga Nidra experts. James specializes in iRest Yoga Nidra having studied extensively with the protocol’s founder, Richard C. Miller, PhD. James was responsible for bringing iRest Yoga Nidra teacher training to Europe in 2014. He has been a practicing yoga teacher since 2005 and qualified as a Structural Yoga Therapist after completing his training with Mukunda Stiles in 2006. From his clinic in Oxford, James works with clients who are recovering from birth trauma, PTSD, sexual abuse and depression as well as injury and other physical ailments (and even pre award ceremony nerves at the Oscars for one of his more high-profile clients). He teaches Yoga Nidra at triyoga London and regularly guest-teaches elsewhere, such as at the Khiron House trauma centre as well as within corporate settings and yoga studios across Europe. James also runs his own regular yoga classes, workshops and retreats all focused on helping us to live the essence of our true nature: welcoming, open, spacious and free from judgment and conditioning.
Frequently Asked Questions
We totally appreciate that this journey requires a big commitment in time, money and energy, so we want to help you to make an informed decision. Our Teaching iRest, Level 1 FAQ’S offers answers to some of our more frequent questions from students, we hope this covers everything you need to know. Do feel free to call us if you’d prefer to discuss any questions in person.
Book online today or give us a call on 01908 566610! Spaces on this training are limited and so will need to be pre-booked and pre-paid. Bookings are all on a first come first served basis and confirmed on payment.
Booking Terms & Conditions
In the event of cancellation:
60 days or more prior to the course start date:
Your payment will be refunded, less 10% admin fee
31 – 59 days prior to the start date:
Payments are not refundable, but are transferable to a future whitespace training, workshops or classes (less 10% admin fee).
30 days or less prior to the start date:
Payments are not refundable or transferable, unless your place can be filled from a waiting list (less 20% admin fee).
Leaving the Training
It is our aim and policy to facilitate anyone who may be experiencing difficulties either with the training or in other areas of their life so they are able to complete the course. However, we understand that in some circumstances this is not possible and students have no choice other than to leave the course. In this instance we will be unable to give you a certificate or graduate you from the training, and your course fees cannot be refunded.